Tutorial: How to French Braid Your Own Hair

The number one question I get over and over again is: “How do you French braid your own hair?”

I thought I’d answer this by way of video …

For those who don’t want to bother with streaming video, here’s the basic breakdown of a French braid:

Step 1: Separate out a section of hair at the top of your hair. Not quite half-up — should be less hair than that.

Step 2: Split that into three parts.

Step 3: Take one of the outer sections and cross it over the middle section so that it replaces the middle. The middle becomes the side you just moved.

Step 4: Still holding the other two sections, pick up the opposite side section, add a bit of hanging hair to it and move that section into the middle.

Step 5: Repeat this action (picking up a side section, adding hair and moving it into the middle) all the way down your scalp. Once all of the hanging hair is braided, you’re done with the hard part. Phew!

Step 6: Regular braid your hair down to the ends and secure with a small, clear elastic.

Bonus tips: Don’t strive for perfection — you’ll just exhaust your arms and quit before you’re ahead. A less perfect finish is more “in” now anyway. And, don’t look in the mirror at the back of your head while braiding. It will throw you off because everything appears backwards.

Happy braiding!

Do you have another style you’d like me to share a tutorial on? Share by commenting below.

14 Responses to Tutorial: How to French Braid Your Own Hair

1. Lyss says:

It can get quite annoying when some of your hair gets wound around other bits of hair so you don’t know what’s going where! Thanks for this though, I found it really helpful. :)

2. Nat says:

After all these years of attempting french braids…today it finally clicked! Thank you!

3. Grace says:

Oh my gosh thankyou! I have never been able to french braid and your video totally taught me how! Thanks so much, I will put it to good use(:

4. apurva says:

Thanx a lot :) it was really helpful :D

5. Jenni says:

Just used this to french braid my dreads, and it worked out beautifully!!! Thanks so much!

6. Jen says:

This video and the written instructions helped me finally be able to french braid my long hair!! Thanks!

7. Saz says:

Really wanted to learn to do this for ages but never could, now looks perfect on first try, thanks!!

8. Nam says:

Perfect the first time!! Best tutorial :)

9. Anna says:

Thanks so much! I’ve always wanted to learn how to French braid me hair

10. Pingback: Twisted Tuesday: Halo Braid | Beauty Editor On Call

11. Pingback: Tutorial: How to French Braid Your Own Hair | How to France Braid

12. Pingback: Twisted Tuesday: Romantic Headband Braid | Beauty Editor On Call

13. Pingback: Twisted Tuesday: Low Half Halo Braid | Beauty Editor On Call

14. Kat says:

Awesome job explaining. How do you make a ballerina bun?

15. Pingback: Twisted Tuesday: My Fave Braided Hairstyles From Coachella 2014 | Beauty Editor On Call